Stearns County deputies were called to a home on 93rd Avenue in Maine Prairie Township, a few miles north of Kimball, at 3:19 a.m. Wednesday, Sept. 18, for a possible house fire. Charles Nystrom and Vickie Fosjord were asleep inside the residence when they heard a loud boom outside. They smelled smoke, and believed the house was struck by lightning.
Kimball Fire and Rescue arrived on scene and did not locate any fires or hazards. It appeared that the electrical box on the northeast corner of the home was struck by lightning: there was a large hole blown through the siding on the north side of the residence.
Watkins Ambulance responded to the scene, but no one was injured.